Submitted by Lynn Pietak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
UPDATED 4:24pm, Wed, 12 Oct!
Plan to join members of the SGA and guests of the Society at the 2011 Fall Meeting, to be held all day on Saturday, 22 October, in room 171 (first floor) of the Zell B. Miller Learning Center on the UGA Campus, in Athens (48 Baxter Street at S. Lumpkin Street, Athens, 30605; map below). Registration is $10 per member ($15 non-members, $5 for students with ID; $25 for families).
Stay in Athens for evening activities, a SGA live and silent auction fund-raiser that begins at 6:30pm, and an opportunity to tour the ArchaeoBus, Georgia’s Mobile Archaeology Classroom, owned by the SGA (details on evening activities online here).
Here’s the schedule for the daytime meeting:
- 8:30am Registration, coffee, snacks
- 9:00am Welcome, SGA President Catherine Long; introduction of Presentation Facilitator, Dr. Jack Wynn
- 9:15am Archaeological Estimations and Excavations at Evelyn in Glynn County, Kevin Kiernan, PhD, SGA Board Member, Keith Stephenson, Savannah River Archaeological Research Program, and Karen Y. Smith, Monticello, Department of Archaeology
- 9:45am A Fresh Look at Upatoi Town, W. Dean Wood, Elizabeth E. Williamson, and Kay G. Wood, Southern Research
- 10:00am Conservation Archaeology and Georgia’s Regionally Important Resources Planning Program, Terry Jackson, Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- 10:30am Break
- 10:45am Carroll County’s Early Industrial Development on Snake Creek, Kay G. Wood, and W. Dean Wood, Southern Research
- 11:15am Mineral Industries of North Georgia: Historic Contexts and Archaeology, Brad Botwick, New South Associates, Inc.
- 11:45am SGA Business Meeting
- Noon Lunch break (on your own)
- 1:30pm SGA and UGA, Partners in Archaeology, M. Jared Wood and Mark Williams, University of Georgia
- 2:00pm The Swords Bridge Site, 9MG73, Richard Moss, Historic Preservation Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- 2:30pm Supplying Generals John Floyd and Andrew Jackson: The Fort Daniel/Fort Peachtree/Peachtree Road Connection, James D’Angelo and Wayne Waldrip, Gwinnett Archaeological Research Society
- 3:00pm Break
- 3:15pm Beneath the Street: Archaeological Evaluation of Atlanta’s Streetcar Past, Matt Tankersley, New South Associates, Inc.
- 3:45pm Results from Recent Archaeological Survey at Ocmulgee, Daniel Bigman, University of Georgia
- 4:15pm Duckett Site (9HL 554) Spring 2011 Season Report and Intern Research, William H. Phillips, University of West Georgia
- 4:45pm Chert Sources and Resources in Northwest Georgia, Terry Powis, PhD, Kennesaw State University, Jon Bruce, Brockington and Associates, and Vicki Gloer, SUNY Albany
- 5:15pm Final discussion; adjournment; dinner on your own; reconvene at 6:30pm at Terrapin Brewery, 265 Newton Bridge Road, for the SGA’s fundraiser, the Audacious Archaeology Silent and Live Auction (details on evening activities online here and here, for starters)
All 2011 Fall Meeting information is on this website here.